What We Are Thankful For
Pilamaya (Lakota). Elahkwa (Zuni). Ahéheé (Navajo). Kwakwhá (Hopi). Néá’eshe (Cheyenne). Ashoge (Apache). Aahóow (Kiowa).
- Pueblo Feast Days occur throughout the year as a time of giving and celebration of culture, language and religion, with each dance considered a prayer.
- Wopila celebrations occur throughout the Plains tribes when a loved one returns home from the military or a Native youth graduates or someone is healed from a serious illness.
Many of us give thanks or express gratitude when we have a good feeling toward someone who has helped or given something. Here at PWNA, when we take a moment to stop and reflect upon what we are thankful for, the list is long. Yet, recently rising to the top of our list is the response to our 100-day supply drive. As our CEO/President shared this summer, we issued a national call to action through which PWNA was “hoping to collect needed goods and shed light on realities facing a quarter of a million Native Americans in our service area.”
Thanks to the generosity of gift-in-kind donors, PWNA received more than $1 million in critical supplies through the drive. This included the water PWNA distributed during the Navajo water crisis and items expensive and “hard to get” on the reservations, such as toothpaste, soap and laundry detergent. PWNA is already distributing these supplies in response to requests from our tribal partners.
We thank the following donors for supporting PWNA and remembering Native Americans:
- Matthew:25 Ministries @M25M_org
- Medical Teams International @medicalteams
- Feeding South Dakota @FeedingSD
- Feed The Children @feedthechildren
- Individual donors such as Dr. Leo McCarthy and the 8th grade class at Red Cloud Indian School @RedCloudSchool and many more.
Now, it is our turn to give something back. Leave a comment on this blog topic today and you will automatically be entered to win a DVD set of the award-winning PBS series, “We Shall Remain: America Through Native Eyes.” We will announce the winner at PWNA4Hope on Facebook tomorrow.